There are so many different ways to make a little extra money. For example, you can sell groceries. Whether you sell it in farmers markets, from a food truck, door-to-door, or through a small online business, selling groceries can be a great way to generate new income. You want to find foods that are easy to sell, especially when you are starting out. After all, you want to make money and not spend a lot of your own pocket to get started.
How to sell groceries
Before you start selling groceries, you need to consider what type of business you want. Some examples of small food-based businesses are:
- Wrap up a favorite recipe like homemade jam. Sell it online, at farmers markets, or in partnership with a local restaurant.
- Start a home grocery store. This can mean offering a small menu of items that you are selling on. Variety of channels. You can sell to small restaurants or sell directly to consumers online.
- Become a seller at a concession booth, food truck park, or any other area that allows individuals and / or small businesses to sell groceries.
- Sell food “door-to-door,” which may mean visiting construction sites to sell lunch to workers, or using word of mouth to let your children’s parents know that you have food for sale.
There are legal problems
Depending on where you live and how you want to sell your groceries, there are legal issues that you need to think about. These include general problems with small businesses such as: B. the establishment of a company license. In addition, there are special rules for food companies. For example, you may need to determine if your local laws allow you to cook from your own kitchen or if you need to rent space in a commercial kitchen.
You need light food to sell
If you want to make lots of money, you need to look for simple foods that you can sell. What “simple foods” mean has two different aspects:
- Food that is easy to prepare.
- Food that is easy to sell because it is very popular.
If you can prepare food quickly, cheaply and easily, then you are on the right track. If you choose foods that sell well because of their popularity, you are sold out. This is how you make money.
Find simple groceries for sale
There are a few important factors to consider when deciding what to sell. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Which foods are the easiest and most pleasant for me to prepare?
- What food do I want to buy when I go to the place where I will sell my food?
- What are the most popular foods in such places? Is the market already too saturated for these foods?
- What is the cost investment and time investment of the groceries I want to sell?
In other words, you want to think about your market, your experience, your passion for food, and the cost of time and money that you invest in this business. Ideally, you will find a meal that is inexpensive to prepare, easy and fun to prepare, and popular, but also unique from what is already available around you.
Examples of foods that are easy to sell
Your market can be very diverse as food is easy to sell. For example, french fries are the easiest to sell in some places. In contrast, other places have good niche markets for organic, artisanal and vegan food trends. You need to research your market to find out what is easy to sell in your area. With that in mind, here are some examples of easy-to-sell foods:
- Sweets and packaged snacks that you simply buy and resell in bulk
- Chilli or baked beans
- Food for concession stands such as french fries, corn dogs, nachos and funnel cakes
- Biscuits, pastries and other baked goods
- Corn on the cob or elote from the cob
- Drinks like lemonade, coffee and mocktails
- Freshly baked bread
- Hummus and / or other dips with bread and crudités
- Jams, jellies and other homemade preserves
- Kebabs / skewers
- Pickles and other pickled vegetables
- Pizza including fried pizza; Consider offering both traditional and more unique toppings
- Simple salads with just a few fresh ingredients and your own dressing
- Simple sandwiches like grilled cheese do really well
- Tacos and quesadillas
- Toasts such as avocado toast and bruschetta
- Trendy foods such as meat marinades, açaí bowls or plant-based protein dishes
Additional factors to consider
You have already checked the legal aspects of starting a food business. You looked at an easy-to-sell food. Additionally, you have thought about how your food interests intersect with popular foods in order to find a good product for sale. Here are some additional factors to consider before deciding for sure which foods to sell:
- How are you going to source the food ingredients?
- What do you need to store the ingredients? For example, do you need to buy a freezer?
- What do you need to prepare the meal? For example, do you need to buy a deep fryer or canning jars?
- How long does it take to prepare the meal? How long after preparation is it good to sell? For example, keep in mind that many foods at home can take a long time to initially prepare, but then you can save and sell the canned food over time. In contrast, you have to sell french fries as soon as you make them. You’re not saving well. That said, they’re quick to make compared to something like canned peaches.
- What additional items do you need to serve this food? If you are making a prepared meal like cookies at home, how will you package and ship it? What plates or other supplies do you have to provide when you distribute food at a stand?
You can start a business that sells groceries. It might turn out to be not just a passion project, but a project that will give you a solid, stable income from. If you really love the job it could even turn into a professional small business. That said, you want to make sure you start slowly, invest your time and money wisely, find easy-to-sell foods, and then grow your market over time.
If you would like to read our blog posts and try your hand at blogging, we have good news for you. This is exactly what you can do with Saving Advice. Just click here to get started. If you want to customize your blog to your own domain and need hosting service, we recommend giving BlueHost a try. They offer high performance hosting services for $ 3.95 / month!