When using social media to promote your website or blog, one of your main goals should be getting people to your website from social media. Easier said than done, right?
Take Instagram, for example. You can’t add links to individual posts, so you can only use a single link in your Instagram bio. Where do you send people with this link? How can you promote your latest content with a static link? Should you change the link every time you share a new Instagram post?
Shorby is a tool that can help you solve this problem point and provide other useful tools for creating shortened links, analyzing and setting up pixel tracking, and chatting with your customers through various services.
In this shorby test, I’m going to get you hands-on and share how it helps you, how it works, and whether or not it is right for you.
Shorby Review Summary: What Does It Do?
When you go to the Shorby landing page, there are few details about how the tool will actually help you. Before I get to the practical part of the review, I want to talk a little about the general ways Shorby can help you market more effectively on social media.
Create optimized micro landing pages
One of the biggest features in Shorby is the ability to create optimized “micro” landing pages that you can include in your social media BIOS. Instead of swapping the URL in your social media BIOS every time you post a new post, you can just leave the link on your Shorby landing page and let Shorby make sure you’re viewing the correct content.
The Shorby landing page allows you to customize:
- Your latest content (obtained from an RSS feed)
- Any content that you want to serve, e.g. B. some column contents
- Messenger links to all supported messenger services (more on this in a second)
- Price / service lists
- Links to all of your social media accounts
These landing pages are 100% mobile optimized which gives your followers a great experience from the app to the landing page. As part of this, you get some preset layouts that look really good on smartphones.
If you want to see an example of one of these micro landing pages, check out this page we created for the Blogging Assistant. You can see how it presents the latest content and pushes people to some pillar content.
Note: The link works best on a smartphone (because Shorby is optimized for this). However, you can still get an idea of how it works on your desktop. Remember, however, that there is no attempt to optimize it for desktop visitors.
Shorten URLs (with detailed analysis)
If you’re on social media, you probably know the idea of a URL shortener.
Shorby can take your links and make them much shorter … while giving you useful analysis options.
It supports standard basic click tracking analytics. For more detailed analysis, it also has tracking pixel support for the most popular tools, including:
- Facebook pixel
- Google advertising
- Google Analytics
Of course, there are plenty of other high quality URL shorteners out there, so this is definitely not a unique selling proposition in itself. The advantage is that this feature can be easily integrated with the other Shorby tools. For example, you can use shortened links for your landing pages and messenger chats. Speaking of messenger chats …
Open Chats via a short link
Finally, Shorby can also help you create shortened links that automatically open a live chat (or call / email) to a variety of different services. This is a great option for any type of business that relies on retail sales.
The links work with:
- Facebook Messenger
- Phone call (not really a chat, more like an old school phone call. Do you remember these?)
You can also customize the text of the opening information (for networks that support this feature). For example “Please give me more information about[X}”[X}”[X}”[X}”
And like all the other tools, you can add tracking pixels from all of the above services too.
With Shorby you can touch it
Now that you have a better understanding of how Shorby can help you, let’s go touch it and show you what it’s like to work with Shorby’s various functions.
The Shorby dashboard is pretty simple – you will see:
- Some basic analysis for landing pages / links you’ve already created
- An option to quickly shorten a URL by pasting it
Then you will see options for creating the three elements I highlighted earlier:
- Short link (URL shortening)
- Smart Page (the Micro Landing Page)
- Messenger Link (the chat integration)
I will save the smart page for the last time as it is the most involved. Let’s start with short links and messenger links.
How to create a short link
To create a short link, go to Create → Short Link. All you have to do is:
- Paste the URL that you want to shorten
- Configure the shortened link. The basis is shor.by/ However, you can configure anything that comes after the slash. You can also use your own custom domain for high-level plans.
By default, Shorby automatically tracks click analysis. If you want to go deeper, you can also add your own tracking pixels for the aforementioned services.
One nice thing about tracking pixels is that you can create multiple “lists of pixels”. A pixel list is a collection of one or more pixels that you can quickly reuse. This is especially useful when you are using multiple websites.
For example, you can create a pixel list for “Blog A” with this website’s tracking pixels for Facebook and Google AdWords. You can then create a separate list for “Blog B” that contains different tracking pixels. This applies to all of Shorby’s features – including the micro landing pages and messenger links.
How to create a chat link
Creating a messenger link is just as easy. You go after Create → Messenger Link and fill out a short form that looks very similar to the link shortening form.
You want to first select the service the link goes to. Then you can:
- Enter the username / phone number you want the message to be sent to.
- Adjust the shortened URL.
- Add predefined text for services that support it. For example, you can pre-fill the message for WhatsApp, but not for Messenger.
- Add your tracking pixels just like you saw with the link shortening.
And that’s it – you’ll get a short link that you can share to open a live chat right away.
How to create a micro landing page
Creating a micro landing page is the most laborious step because you have a lot more options for customization. The other two are really just about controlling the shortened URL. On the micro landing page you can choose which content should be included.
Shorby’s Micro Landing Pages follow a basic template, but you have control over what content is displayed in that template.
The basic template is:
- Image / logo – Any image you want to display on top.
- title – Title text with optional sub-heading.
- Messengers – Ways for people to connect with you (via all of the methods in the previous section).
- blocks – This can be a button / card, text or a dynamic feed (like your recent blog posts).
- Social links – Links to your other social media profiles.
This is how it looks at the beginning:
As you add content, you get a live visual preview of what your landing page will look like.
When you add Messenger, you can integrate as many services as you like and rearrange the order using drag & drop:
Next you can add one or more blocks. In the following screenshot you can also see the live preview of the three messenger links I configured:
When adding a button / card, you can choose from several layouts and add background images if needed:
You can also add a price tag which is helpful when promoting products / services.
Another useful option is the ability to add a dynamic feed that pulls content from each RSS feed. If you have a blog, this is an easy way to showcase your latest posts. You can also add a feed of your most recently uploaded products if you have an ecommerce store.
For feed items, you can choose how many items to include and use different layouts. I like the “mixed up” layout that gives you nice cards for each post:
Finally, you can use subtitles / text to divide up your various blocks and you can also use drag and drop to easily rearrange the order of your blocks.
Finally, at the bottom of your landing page, you can add as many social links as you want:
However, you cannot change the order between the different template sections. That said, while you can rearrange the order of your blocks, you cannot move the messenger links below the blocks, for example.
Finally, you get some general settings in the the settings Menu that allows you to:
- Choose different color schemes
- Customize the link to your landing page
- Add tracking pixels
Once you’re done, you’ll be able to share your landing page using the link alias you chose.
Shorby has different pricing plans depending on the features you need and the number of pages / links you need to create. You can view the pricing plans below:
One of the biggest perks of the parent plans is the ability to use a custom domain name. That is, instead of “shor.by“You can use your own domain name for all of your links, like”blgwzrd.com“. This is especially useful for your landing pages as I think it’s better to include your own domain name in your social media BIOS.
Final thoughts on Shorby
Overall, Shorby is a really useful tool for optimizing how you interact with your social media followers.
The ultimate goal of your social media accounts should be to attract people to your website or otherwise convert them into customers. Shorby will help you:
- Micro landing pages allow you to include a link in your BIOS that effectively advertises both your latest and greatest content and anything else you want to advertise (e.g. a list of your services with prices).
- The URL shortener is useful when you want to share content on social media (or anywhere else). You can use the analytics and pixel tracking integrations to analyze how effective each link is.
- Messenger links facilitate interaction with visitors on different platforms. If your business is about single sales or interactions, there are ways to increase your conversion rates.
If you want to see it in action again, check out the Shorby blogging assistant landing page. And if you’d like to try it, click here to sign up for Shorby today.